Tuesday, October 18, 2011

Hello World!

It feels to me that an indie craft revival has taken hold in the past few years and is gaining fast momentum. No longer is crafting limited to this image of grandma's Christmas sweaters. After all, would you expect ol' granny knit this special tea cozy?

Just a few years ago, I remember seeing an ad for the Crafty Bastards Arts & Crafts fair in Washington, DC and marking the date as a must-do on my calendar. That day, as I strolled the many booths, not wanting to miss a single item, I realized: I want to do this too. That very night, I drew out my first sketches of what would eventually become the characters of C-Squared Cupcake.

You can see some of my items from Etsy here:




Just the other day, I featured in my very first craft show (more on this later). Of all the people I met that day, I particularly remember two girls who expressed an interest in starting their own crafty businesses and were looking to find their start. Two girls after my own heart! I'm by no means an expert in this area, but through this blog, I'm hoping to be able to impart lessons learned from my personal experiences. And I'm sure there will be many more lessons to come, so hopefully this way be a way to track these items and remind myself what NOT to do again.

A few of the things I hope to share:

1. Lessons learned in starting a crafting business
2. DIY ideas and inspiration
3. Current craft obsessions

My tip #1: Above all else, LOVE what you do. Though I thrive on the challenges of starting a business and getting it off the ground, the greatest pleasure I derive is from taking an idea and, through craft, transforming it into something tangible.

No comments:

Post a Comment