Thursday, May 10, 2012

Earth Day Update

It's been a long week, but I wanted to do a quick post to update on how my green onions are blooming (see original post below). I'm happy to report that they've grown like crazy over the past two weeks! I can't wait to add them to my next meal - and really, what dish wouldn't taste better with some green onion sprinkled in?

Day 16:



I didn't want to chop them up before writing this post, but even my yummy dinner from last night would have been enhanced with some green onion...

Lately, I've been feeling more inspired by this go-green movement (in a variety of ways) and have been trying to incorporate more veggies and cut out more meat from my diet. Last night, I made my own adaptation of the Hot-and-Sour Peanutty Noodles with Bok Choy from Self.com:


INGREDIENTS

  • 8 oz whole-wheat linguine
  • 2 1/4 teaspoons tsp kosher salt, divided
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 large shallot, sliced
  • 1 lb baby bok choy, roughly chopped
  • 1 package (14 oz) extra firm tofu, cubed
  • 3/4cup low-sodium vegetable stock
  • 2 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
  • 1 tablespoon sesame oil
  • 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
  • 1/2 cup chopped unsalted roasted peanuts
  • 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or more to taste)
  • PREPARATION

    1. Cook pasta as directed on package with 2 tsp salt until just tender. Drain and rinse pasta with cool water. In a large nonstick skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Cook shallot, stirring, until just brown, 1 minute. Add bok choy, tofu, and remaining 1/4 tsp salt. Cook, stirring frequently, until bok choy begins to wilt, 1 to 2 minutes. Add stock, soy sauce, sesame oil and vinegar and continue to stir and combine for another 1 to 2 minutes. Add pasta, peanuts and pepper flakes to pan. Toss to combine; serve.

Here's how it turned out for me:



No comments:

Post a Comment